Book Review: Architecting Applications for the Enterprise

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails" - William Arthur Ward
I will write a short summary about the book I have read. To start with I must say that I am very deliberate about the books I buy. You will spend a lot of time on the book so it is crucial to choose it right.

So, what are the reasons for having a book like this? I have a few mantras that I use in my everyday work when I am researching or architect solutions. Here are them:
1. Get only information that has practical value
2. Information should be up to date
3. Use the tools from the well-known vendors

Taking that into account I had chosen this particular book because of
1. It has been written by software developers
2. It covers up to date information
3. It is very practical - it covers the tools and technologies I am working with
4. Price is nice (~$29)

It was a pleasure to read the book. The book introduces you to the most widely used and practical design patterns, but it is not boring at all (even the opposite). Moreover, each pattern presented here is illustrated with an appropriate context and it is followed by up to date C# (.NET 3.5) implementation. So you can make decision.  More importantly the patterns presented here are actually best practices that Microsoft recommends. And this is the first reason why you have to read the book!

I really recommend reading chapter about DAL. Here you will have an answers to probably all the questions that the developer faces when working with databases. More importantly, it will unveil a lot of real myths with regard of stored procedures, SQL and hot-topic: performance!


Here is a link to a book(Amazon.com)


To sum up, I can ultimately recommend it for reading for the developer of intermediate and higher level.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UML Sequence Diagram and Visual Studio

Amazon Kindle 3 (6'' Graphite) Tips